Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine Creations




Both of the girls' Valentine ideas came from Family Fun magazine this year, and we did, indeed, have fun making them.
Molly's "You Color My World" valentine was probably the most fun to make. One afternoon we scoured the house for old, used crayons. After rounding up a good amount in various colors, we peeled the wrappers off and broke the crayons up into smaller pieces. We placed them in my mini muffin tin and baked them until the crayons melted into the beautiful little "crayon tarts" you see Molls displaying in the photo above. We stuck them to hearts with the words: "You color my world" and voila! a finished Valentine, ready to grace the boxes of her preschool classmates. Molls was so sweet the whole time we were making the tarts. "This is so MUCH FUN, Mama! And we're doing this AGETHER!". It was an afternoon very well spent with my sweetheart of a 4 year old.
As soon as I saw the Dinosaur Valentines in Family Fun magazine, I knew they'd be perfect for McKenna to give to her friends. (She plays dinosaurs everyday on the playground with her buddies, Olivia and Carl). I cut out hearts and wrote "You're Dino-mite!" on them. Then we stamped heart-shaped "footprints" on them and McKenna selected which party-favor dino would leave it's tracks on which Valentine. She was delighted with the end result and eager to give them to her friends. But alas, they are home due to a snow day this Valentines Day, so the dinos will have to wait until tomorow to stomp their way into McKenna's classmates Valentine bag. Poor Molls will have to wait until Monday. They may be a bit disappointed not to be in school today, but I love having my Little Sweethearts home with me this Valentines Day. It was a lovely surprise!

No comments: